For centuries, Mondolfo’s economic and political life was dominated— among other—by the Giraldi Della Rovere, Peruzzi, Beliardi and Gallucci families. These families had accumulated their wealth through wars, grain trade or prominent positions in the ecclesiastical hierarchy, and decided to erect important aristocratic palaces to underline their status. Two of these residences arose within the inner ring of walls, along the Strada Grande (Via Garibaldi): one belonged to the Beliardi Counts, who apparently had been living in Mondolfo since the 16th century in a noble palace in the oldest part of the town, while the other belonged to the Gallucci family, who in 1669 placed an ornamental scroll on the facade of their residence as a sign of gratitude and loyalty to Pope Clement IX. The palace initially belonging to the Offonidi family and, subsequently, to the Malatesti family since the late 14th century, presumably also lay along this road. Worthy of note in the second ring of walls is Giraldi Della Rovere Palace, along Via F.lli Rosselli. After reaching Mondolfo in the 15th century with the Malatesti family, Alessandro Giraldi married a woman from a wealthy local family. Starting from the third generation—namely with Giraldo and his three sons, all skilful soldiers—the family established firm ties with the new lord of Mondolfo, Giovanni Della Rovere, and with his son Francesco Maria. After becoming Duke of Urbino, the latter granted Giraldo the privilege of adding the Della Rovere surname to his own surname as a sign of loyalty. Giraldo’s grandson, Filippo Giraldi, oversaw the construction of the family palace erected after 1542, as documented by the architraves of the windows lining the main floor, inscribed with the words ‘FILIPPVS GIRALDI’. Along Corso della Libertà we find the residence of the Peruzzi family. Dating from the same period as Giraldi Palace (the two buildings display similar architectural styles), the architraves of the latter are inscribed with the name ‘Ludovico Peruzzi’, who became a member of the town council as early as 1551. The dynasty rose to prominence after two of its members were appointed bishops: Monsignor Angelo Peruzzi, the Bishop of Sarsina from 1581 to 1600, and—above all—Monsignor Marsilio Peruzzi, the Archbishop of Chieti from 1618 and Nuncio to Spain.